There are many methods of exercise to gain muscle mass. However, currently the most popular are 4 methods including: Traditional weight gain, method of over training threshold – Max OT, Super Set method and Drop set method.
These four methods are all based on the heaviest weight you can do at most once – 1RM to determine the weight.
In addition to effective exercise, you should stick to a diet rich in protein and fortified foods like whey protein for the fastest muscle recovery and growth.
Traditional weight gain method
This is a fairly popular practice method in the past. When exercising with this method, you will gradually increase the weight and decrease the number of lifts.
To work with this method, you first need to determine the heaviest weight you can lift 1RM. You can refer to how to calculate 1RM according to the article below:
Then, for each exercise you will practice with 4 sets. In which, 1st and 2nd half are warm-up cards 3 and 4 are main innings. Keep each set you should rest for 90 – 120 seconds.
- First half: Warm-up exercise from 12-14 times with a weight of about 40-50% of 1RM
- Second half: Exercise 8-10 times with a weight of 50-60% of 1RM
- Round 3: Exercise 6-8 times with a weight of 70-80% of 1RM
- Round 4: From 4-6 times with a weight of over 80% of 1RM
The Max OT method – exceeding the threshold
Max OT stands for Maximum Overload Training which means excess training. This method is thought to help you gain muscle mass quickly.
With this method, you don’t need to gain weight often, but you’ll need to do it with a fixed weight.
- Each training session lasts from 30-40 minutes;
- Each training session focuses on only 1 muscle group or 2 muscle groups but related to each other such as chest muscles – hind arms, bucket muscles – front arms;
- The weight when exercising Max OT is from 80 – 90% of 1RM;
- Each exercise will be performed 4-6 times;
- Each muscle group will have to train up to 6-9 heavy sets;
- After 8-10 weeks of training with Max OT, you will have 1 week of complete rest.
Super set is a practice method developed recently. With this method you can not only gain muscle but also lose fat at the same time.
When doing the super set, you will have to train with high intensity so that the muscles have to work at maximum and develop in size quickly. This method is as follows:
- Combine from 2 exercises in one set. If increased by 4 cards will be called Giant-set;
- Do not rest between exercises in the set;
- Weight of weights from 70 – 80% of 1RM;
- Practice from 8 to 12 times with 3 innings.
Drop set is a practice method that is the opposite of traditional training methods. If traditional practice exercises from light to heavy and reduce the number of exercises, Drop-set exercises from heavy to light again and gradually increase the number of times.
- 1st half: Push hard with weight about 80% of 1RM about 6-8 times;
- Second half: Push hard with weights weighing about 70-60% of 1RM;
- Round 3: Push hard with dumb bells from 50-60% of 1RM;
- Round 4: Push hard with weight from: 40 – 50% of 1RM;
Note, you should take very little rest between sets, only about 10-15 seconds to help maximum muscle function.